Sunday 28 August 2016

Hexagon baby blanket


I think it's my biggest crochet project I made till now. In the past I already tried to make a blanket from granny squares but somehow I've never finished it. Now I think the squares were too small so I would need a huge number of them. And some time ago I discovered a pattern for a hexagon from Make And Do Crew. In the same time I bought a new yarn - Cottonwood. It's 100% organic cotton and I love it! At first I just wanted to test the new yarn and started to crochet one hexagon. Of course it was great :) so I decided to make more of them and make a baby blanket for my friend who is pregnant now.



For one hexagon I needed around 17-20 minutes. It's very easy to make. You don't need to count a lot and it's only DCs and chain stitches to be made. So you can watch tv or chat with someone while crocheting ;)
From one Cottonwood yarn ball (50g / 105m) I could make 6 hexagons which is far more than I expected! I used crochet hook 3 mm. On the yarn label you can find an information from producer that you should use hook 4,5-5,5 for this yarn. I could imagine it's a mistake because for me it would be really to big hook for this yarn. I think 3-4 mm is ok.
So I made 9 hexagons from each of my 5 yarn colours and started thinking how to join them. I always need a plan so for this I also made one in.. power point ;) It was a good idea because I could move the parts many times and see different combinations. At the end I decided I need the sixth colour because I didn't wanted two hexagons in the same colour to be next to each other. I started joining before I was ready with all hexagons. I could not wait to see the result :) That's why I also didn't block the parts. Next time I think I will do this.



Joining was also a pretty big task. The instructions for joining you can also find on Make And Do Crew. I was thinking to make half-hexagons to fill the empty parts but than I decided not to do this and started finishing with two rounds of single crochets around the whole blanket. When I was ready.. I didn't like the finishing so I ripped it again. In the same time Make And Do Crew published a pattern for a half-hexagon so it was like a sign for me to do them! :D I did 4 of them and filled the empty parts on the top and bottom of the blanket.



And now it's finally finished :)




No comments:

Post a Comment